Tiger Woods Says He Had Golf Club While in Bed Recovering From Car Crash

Legendary golfer Tiger Woods spoke about his future in his first interview since a devastating car accident in Los Angeles last February.

Woods described the immediate consequences of the accident in an interview with Golf digest, as well as the long rehabilitation process, continue.

Woods pointed out that he itched to get back into the game despite his injuries. One of the first things he did in his hospital bed was to ask for a golf club to play around with.

Nonetheless, in an interview with the magazine, the golfer added that although he was “great”, he still had a way to go to return to his previous level.

On February 23, Woods was making a sharp turn in his Genesis SUV when he lost control of the vehicle. This resulted in a rollover fall, and Woods fractured his right tibia and fibula, along with minor breaks in his left leg and intricate fractures.

Tiger Woods Golfing
Tiger Woods revealed in the first interview some of the pressures behind his rehab process since breaking his leg in a devastating rollover in February. Here Woods can be seen at the PNC championship in Florida.
Mike Ehrmann / Getty

Doctors at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center reportedly feared they would have to amputate his right leg. However, it did not, and Woods was eventually released from the hospital into rehab.

Woods said his recovery was an uphill struggle and that he wanted to start playing individual tours – although he admitted that he will likely never play full-time golf again.

“I think the realistic thing is to play the tour one day – never again full-time, you choose,” said Woods Golf digest. “You practice around it and prepare for it. I think that’s how I’ll have to play it from now on. It’s an unfortunate reality, but it’s my reality. And I understand and I accept it. “

Woods’ rehabilitation process included a three month stay in a hospital bed, house handcuffed. This eventually led to a wheelchair, and then to a range of crutches.

“Integrating that part into my daily life was so rewarding because I was stuck in a house. Granted, it’s a pretty nice house that I built for myself, but I haven’t been able to do the one thing I love to do: I love going outside and just being outside ” said Woods Golf digest. “Sometimes I just crawl on the grass for an hour because I want to be outside. Missing contact with a properly hit golf ball is one of the better feelings. “

Progress seems to be going well, as Woods recently tweeted a video of him swinging an iron.

The famous golfer told the magazine that as a retired military man, his father’s regiment helped Woods cope with the physical and emotional trauma that resulted from the crash. This, Woods said, had helped him through some of his darkest days.

“Any [special forces] Operator can confirm this – they don’t know how long a firefight will last. It could be five seconds or five hours, and some could last for days, “Woods said in his interview.” Given that, you don’t know when the end is, so that’s the hard part. How are you coping with that? “

“I’ve just cut the windows of, oh, that’s going to be nine months of hell, down to just two or three hours,” he added.

News week has asked Tiger Woods for a comment.

Leave a Comment