Photos show dangers of charging your phone in bed with a worn-out charger

Photos show dangers of falling asleep while charging the phone

Photo credit: CPR Kids | Photo credit: Facebook

Key highlights

  • The photos were originally shared by the Australian Fire Service
  • The post has raised hundreds of stocks from concerned parents
  • It instructs mobile users to properly inspect their charging cables for wear and tear before using them

If you have a habit of falling asleep while your phone is charging in bed, this story should serve as your perfect warning.

We’ve all heard of cases where mobile devices explode or catch fire while they’re charging. This one isn’t much different.

The story is a warning to those who keep their mobiles, tablets, and other devices connected to the charger while in bed.

Photos shared online by the Australian Fire Department show a charred bed sheet next to the front end of a charger that appears to have lost its protective coating.

The photos suggest that the charger’s protective coating melted away to burn the bed sheet and other cover.

The photos were shared with the caption, “Did your kids get a tablet or phone for Christmas?”

“Make sure they never charge electronics in bed – teach them to follow manufacturers’ guidelines. Charge on a flat surface with no flammable materials nearby, make sure there are no foreign objects in the plug or connector, and avoid cheap accessories like cables, “the post added.

The post said it is important to check that the charging cables are in good condition before using them. If they show signs of wear and tear, they must be disposed of immediately.

“Damaged cables and charging in unsafe conditions can create a risk of electric shock and fire,” it said.

The CPR Kids post garnered over 381 shares and some interesting reactions for users.

One user wrote: “I told my daughter that too and now she charges it with the portable charger on the bench, so much safer and less stressful for me.”

“We once charged our phone from a book on our desk. The phone got so hot the book caught fire. Smoke had not yet reached the smoke alarm. Putrid smell alerted us first. Fortunately, we didn’t sleep, ”wrote another user.

Now you know what to do and what not to do with your charger.

Leave a Comment