Officials warn of battery dangers after a charging laptop left on bed caused a house fire

A house fire in Maine has officials warning about the dangers of incorrectly charging electronics. The Gorham Fire Department said a house fire was determined to be caused by a laptop charging on a bed.In a Facebook post, the department wrote, “Fires caused by charging and faulty batteries are on the rise all over the country. Please be aware of the hazards charging devices with Lithium Batteries can present.”Lithium batteries can be found in many devices to supply power including smartphones, laptops, scooters, e-cigarettes and some toys.The department said the National Fire Protection Association recommends not charging a device under a pillow, on a bed or on a couch, and to avoid excessive charging.

A house fire in Maine has officials warning about the dangers of incorrectly charging electronics.

The Gorham Fire Department said a house fire was determined to be caused by a laptop charging on a bed.

In a Facebook post, the department wrote, “Fires caused by charging and faulty batteries are on the rise all over the country. Please be aware of the hazardous charging devices with Lithium Batteries can present.”

Lithium batteries can be found in many devices to supply power including smartphones, laptops, scooters, e-cigarettes and some toys.

The department said the National Fire Protection Association recommends not charging a device under a pillow, on a bed or on a couch, and to avoid excessive charging.

This content is imported from Facebook. You may be able to find the same content in another format, or you may be able to find more information, at their web site.

.

Leave a Comment