Naughty dog sets bedroom on fire after jumping on bed and turning on hairdryer on Xmas Eve

The pooch that ruined Christmas: Naughty dog ​​sets bedroom on fire after jumping on bed and turning on hairdryer on Xmas Eve

  • A dog set fire to a bedroom after jumping on the bed and turning on a hairdryer
  • Fire crews were called to Hockley after reports of a smoke-filled house
  • The dog and homeowner were treated for smoke inhalation following the blaze
  • Essex Fire Service put out a warning following the incident to unplug appliances

A dog set a bedroom on fire on Christmas Eve after jumping on the bed and accidentally turning a hairdryer on.

Fire crews were called to Hockley, Essex, following reports of a smoke-filled house and found the fire in the bedroom.

The homeowner was out and came back to find her house full of smoke after the dog turned the hair appliance on and the bed and mattress caught a light.

The naughty pooch was waiting by the front door when she came home and both were treated for smoke inhalation.

A dog set a bedroom on fire on Christmas Eve after jumping on the bed and accidentally turning a hairdryer on

A dog set a bedroom on fire on Christmas Eve after jumping on the bed and accidentally turning a hairdryer on

Pictures show the hugely damaged bedroom as a result of the blaze and a very scorched striped mattress.

Essex Fire Service watch manager Gary Shinn said: ‘The homeowner was out and came back to find her house full of smoke.

‘We believe the fire started because a hairdryer was left plugged in and on a bed.

‘We think the dog may have then jumped on the bed a turned the hairdryer on, eventually causing it to catch a light on the bedding and mattress.

‘Once you’ve finished with any electrical appliances such as hairdryers and straighteners please take a moment to unplug them.

Pictures show the hugely damaged bedroom as a result of the blaze and a very scorched striped mattress

Pictures show the hugely damaged bedroom as a result of the blaze and a very scorched striped mattress

‘The homeowner wouldn’t have thought for one moment her dog would turn on the hairdryer, but unplugging something just gives you that peace of mind.’

In a tweet, the fire service also said: ‘A freak accident caused a fire in Hockley today. A dog jumped on a bed and turned a hairdryer on, eventually causing it to catch a light on the mattress.’

People on social media were concerned for the dog and family and sent their well-wishes.

One user said the incident was the reason for her paranoia, seemingly regarding turning appliances off.

advertisement

.

Leave a Comment