Mum, 40, swears off hot water bottles for life after one burst in her bed

Mum’s winter bedtime nightmare as her hot water bottle BURSTS in bed and leaves her with horrific burns – and why it could happen to YOU

  • Mum Erin Majurey has stopped using hot water bottles after one burst in bed
  • The 40-year-old from New Zealand bought new hot water bottles last season
  • While in bed she went to get up and placed it between her legs when it exploded
  • Her 11-year-old daughter called the ambulance while she waited in the shower
  • Erin was left with second degree burns but luckily won’t need skin grafts
  • WARNING: Graphic imagery may disturb some readers

A mum has warned against purchasing a hot water bottle this winter after she was left in ‘excruciating pain’ and with horror second degree burns after her almost brand new bottle burst while she was in bed.

Erin Majurey, from Hamilton, New Zealand, could instantly feel blisters forming on her legs after a hot water which had disintegrated internally scorched her body in a freak accident.

While she used to purchase the winter warmers every year Erin has sworn off them forever because of the danger.

‘They aren’t regulated and hospitals have banned them due to the danger of this happening,’ she told FEMAIL.

‘I have switched to wheat bags which aren’t as easy to find and are more expensive, but a better alternative.’

Erin Majurey, from Hamilton, New Zealand, (pictured) could instantly feel the blisters after the hot water scorched her body and legs and was rushed to hospital

Erin Majurey, from Hamilton, New Zealand, (pictured) could instantly feel the blisters after the hot water scorched her body and legs and was rushed to hospital

Erin said the water 'wasn't boiling' as it had been sitting out for a while, and she had purchased new hot water bottles with covers for her and her daughter just before winter last season

'I screamed and threw the blankets off and rolled on to the floor ripping my pants off. I could feel the blisters already,' Erin recalled

Erin said the water ‘wasn’t boiling’ as it had been sitting out for a while, and she had purchased new hot water bottles with covers for her and her daughter just before winter last season

The 40-year-old therapist said the incident took place just over a week ago when her 11-year-old daughter filled the hot water bottle to help her with period cramps.

‘I had it on my stomach, then went to get up so pushed it down the bed between my legs, that’s when it burst,’ she said.

Erin said the water ‘wasn’t boiling’ as it had been sitting out for a while, and she had purchased new hot water bottles with covers for her and her daughter just before winter last season.

‘I screamed and threw the blankets off and rolled onto the floor ripping my pants off. I could feel the blisters already,’ Erin recalled.

Her daughter turned the shower on then called the ambulance while Erin waited under running water for 20 minutes.

Paramedics told Erin the quick thinking and time spent in the shower ‘minimised the damage’, but she still suffered second degree burns on her lower back, left leg and buttock as well as parts of her right thigh.

Once she arrived at the hospital doctors cleaned the wounds and were fearful she’d need skin grafts.

Paramedics told Erin the quick thinking and time spent in the shower 'minimised the damage', but she still suffered second degree burns on her lower back, left leg and buttock as well as parts of her right thigh

Paramedics told Erin the quick thinking and time spent in the shower ‘minimised the damage’, but she still suffered second degree burns on her lower back, left leg and buttock as well as parts of her right thigh

‘It was the most horrific pain – for hours it felt like embers were on my skin just constantly burning,’ she said.

‘The pain for the following week was awful too; [I’ve been] on regular pain medication to try and control it. Now it’s so itchy as it’s healing that I just want to rip my skin off!’

At the moment Erin said she’s finding it difficult to sleep and sit up, and doctors confirmed skin grafts won’t be needed.

'It was the most horrific pain - for hours it felt like embers were on my skin just constantly burning,' she said

‘It was the most horrific pain – for hours it felt like embers were on my skin just constantly burning,’ she said

advertisement

.

Leave a Comment