Laptop left charging on bed cause of fire in Gorham, fire department says

Charging laptop left on bed cause of fire in Gorham, officials warn of battery dangers

A fire caused by a laptop left charging on a bed in Gorham has officials putting out a warning. The Gorham Fire Department said they worked on several fires Sunday. Fire crews said a fire at a structure was determined to be caused by a laptop charging on a bed.In a Facebook post, the department wrote: “Fires caused by charging and faulty batteries are on the rise all over the country. Please be aware of the hazards charging devices with Lithium Batteries can present.”Lithium batteries can be found in many devices to supply power including smartphones, laptops, scooters, e-cigarettes and some toys.The department said the National Fire Protection Association recommends not charging a device under a pillow, on a bed or on a couch, and to avoid excessive charging.

A fire caused by a laptop left charging on a bed in Gorham has officials putting out a warning.

The Gorham Fire Department said they worked on several fires Sunday. Fire crews said a fire at a structure was determined to be caused by a laptop charging on a bed.

In a Facebook post, the department wrote: “Fires caused by charging and faulty batteries are on the rise all over the country. Please be aware of the hazardous charging devices with Lithium Batteries can present.”

Lithium batteries can be found in many devices to supply power including smartphones, laptops, scooters, e-cigarettes and some toys.

The department said the National Fire Protection Association recommends not charging a device under a pillow, on a bed or on a couch, and to avoid excessive charging.

.

Leave a Comment