THIS is the devastating moment a mother kissed her daughter goodbye after the young woman fell fatally ill when she ate a single cannabis sweet.
Damilola Olakanmi and a friend, 21, immediately became unwell after each eating a gummy, branded “Trrlli Peachie O’s”, in Ilford, East London, last Tuesday.
It’s thought the women bought the Class B sweets via a messaging app and they were delivered to Damilola’s home.
The law student’s grief-stricken mum Wumi, 51, held a bedside vigil after she fell fatally ill.
Despite the efforts of medics, Damilola died last Saturday.
Now a photo showing Wumi tenderly kissing her daughter’s forehead has been released.
The image shows Damilola lying in a hospital bed with breathing tubes taped to her face.
Wumi stands over her with her right hand on Damilola’s arm and her left arm wrapped gently behind her head.
The mother is being comforted by relative Richard Taylor, 75, who told the Evening Standard: “Wumi has lost her only child – she has nothing now.
“They had to hold her up because she broke down every time a friend came to the house to give support.
Most read in The Irish Sun
“It’s a tragic warning to all young people about how they live their lives. They should resist drugs.
“Damilola was a promising young woman who should be looking forward to her future and having children of her own.”
And he told The Sun Damilola had been at her mother’s house when she ordered the gummies.
“Damilola was at her mum’s house in Ilford when her and her friend took the sweets,” he said.
“Wumi has lost her only child and her life has been ruined forever.
“It’s incredibly sad.”
Dunni, a relative, said Damilola was a sweet, quiet girl – and the family will “never” come to terms with her sudden death.
Damilola’s friend, believed to be a US student who was visiting Britain, has been discharged from the hospital following the horror.
Officers are awaiting a post-mortem and the results of tests on the gummies.
Police suspect a case in which a woman was taken unwell last month after eating cannabis sweets in Tower Hamlets, East London, is potentially linked.
She was taken to hospital and later discharged. Officers are probing whether the sweets were from the same batch.
Chief Superintendent Stuart Bell of the Met Police said: “I must warn the public against taking any illegal substances, including those packaged in the form of cannabis sweets.
Wumi has lost her only child and her life has been ruined forever. It’s incredibly sad
“Please do not buy or consume these products. They are illegal and, because of the child-friendly packaging, they can pose a risk of accidental consumption.
“The particular batch of sweets were contained in packaging featuring ‘Trrlli Peachie O’s’ branding.
“It has not been confirmed at this stage where the sweets were manufactured.
“Drug dealers harm communities and risk the safety of individuals. We will take positive action to target those engaged in this activity as well as those found in possession of these substances.
“Anyone with information about people selling illegal products such as these is asked to speak with local officers, call police on 101 or, to remain anonymous, contact Crimestoppers.”
Leon Brown, 37, was arrested in connection with the incident on April 1.
He was subsequently charged with possession with intent to supply Class B synthetic cannabinoid, being concerned in the supply of a synthetic cannabinoid, and possession with intent to supply a psychoactive substance.
Brown, of South Norwood, south London, appeared in custody at Barkingside Magistrates’ Court on Monday.