Dozens of Bed-Stuy residents skipped Christmas dinner this year after a fire turned off electricity in a building where power has not yet returned, residents and officials told Patch.
“It was horrible for her – especially [families] with kids, ”said Veronica Cromwell, tenants’ association president. “Although they had the gifts, their parents could not prepare a meal for them.”
According to officials, more than 150 apartments in the Herkimer Str. 400 have been without electricity in the building’s electrical room since the early morning fire on December 21.
“The apartments shouldn’t stay in the dark for so long,” said the tenant leaders, who will wait at least two more weeks for the electricity to return.
A building on Herkimerstrasse that had a power outage before Christmas has at least two weeks to have it repaired, say tenants. (Google Maps.) BED-STUY, […]
The BK Reader is made available to you daily free of charge. Please consider supporting independent local news by donating here. Whether it’s $ 1 or $ 100, no donation is too big or too small!