Bed-Stuy apartment that recently caught fire has had no heat for months

Residents of a Bedford-Stuyvesant apartment building that recently caught fire on Friday say they have been without heat and gas since the start of winter.

The fire broke out on the first floor of the building at 354 Chauncey St. There were no injuries reported, but residents say the fire only made their situation worse.

Resident Patrick Shannon says the building is infested with mice and has had no heat, gas or lights for months, making it hard to live in cold temperatures. He says residents have filed multiple complaints with 311 and tried to reach their landlord to have these issues fixed.

Shannon adds that firefighters broke the lock off his front door while evacuating tenants during the fire, but nobody has come back to fix it, leaving him vulnerable to a possible break in.

Some windows that were broken from Friday’s fire finally got boarded up on Sunday morning, Shannon says, but residents had to endure freezing temperatures indoors in the meantime.

Leave a Comment