BED-STUY, BROOKLYN – More than half of all Bed-Stuy residents are now fully vaccinated against the coronavirus, marking a long-awaited milestone in the delayed distribution of the shot in the neighborhood.
The last of Bed-Stuy’s five postcodes, 11233, which had some of the lowest vaccination rates in the city, recently surpassed the 50 percent rate for all ages, meaning 50.51 percent of all residents had received both doses of the vaccination from Monday to show dates.
The zip code, which also includes parts of Crown Heights and Brownsville, is the third last of the 145 New York City zip codes to reach the milestone.
In Bed-Stuy, parts of the area with the highest vaccination rates reached half of the population more than a month ago. Others, like 11205 and 11206, have also recently passed the 50 percent mark.
Overall, 62 percent of Brooklyn and 68 percent of all five boroughs were fully vaccinated as of Monday.
In some zip codes, the vaccination rate is up to 99 percent, as data shows. The highest rate in Brooklyn is found in Sunset Park, where 96.5 percent of residents were fully vaccinated by Monday.
The lagging numbers in Bed-Stuy come despite a surge in vaccination rates in recent months, as new mandates came into effect and officials focused on improving areas where vaccine distribution has fallen behind.
In 11233, vaccination rates rose nearly 10 percentage points between October and late August when New York City began asking for proof of vaccination at indoor restaurants, museums, and gyms. Since then, vaccination rates have also risen across the city.
More recently, New York City has imposed a vaccination mandate on all civil servants and has focused on distributing doses to children aged 5-11 who have recently been approved for vaccination.
Here’s a closer look at Bed-Stuy’s vaccination rates for all ages as of Monday:
- 11233 Bedford-Stuyvesant (East) / Ocean Hill-Brownsville: 57.25% partially vaccinated, 50.51% fully vaccinated
- 11205 Bedford-Stuyvesant (west) / Clinton Hill / Fort Greene: 55.47% partially vaccinated, 50.7% fully vaccinated
- 11206 Williamsburg (South): 58.3% partially vaccinated, 52.85% fully vaccinated
- 1216 Bedford-Stuyvesant (west) / Crown Heights (west): 70.64% partially vaccinated, 64.75% fully vaccinated
- 11221 Bedford-Stuyvesant (East) / Bushwick: 70.79% partially vaccinated, 63.63% fully vaccinated